Advocating Against Romance Scammers (AARS) was created to help bring awareness and convey the way online romance scams have impacted our world today. In this webinar, AARS will provide awareness to InfraGard members and others who want to better understand the manipulation surrounding romance scams, what dating sites are doing to keep their consumers safe, the importance of reporting, and the process and length an investigation can take.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES – Upon completion of this webinar, the student will:
1. Better understand the manipulation surrounding romance scams.
2. Learn what dating sites are doing to keep their consumers safe.
3. Understand the importance of reporting romance scam incidents.
4. Learn about the process and length of a romance scam investigation.
- Shreya Datta – Romance scam victim, having lost $450,000 to a scammer posing as a handsome French wine trader called ‘Ancel Mali’ after she met him on Hinge and the two began exchanging WhatsApp messages.
- Cathy Wilson – Licensed Professional Counselor in Littleton, Colorado, USA. She has been working with scam survivors and advocates of various kinds for several years as a counselor, consultant, and instructor. She is the author or The Emotional Impact of Being Scammed and How To Recover, and several courses that help mental health professionals, advocates, and family and friends support a survivor of a scam.
- Rory Kozoll, Senior Vice President, Product Management, Tinder
- Claire Cohen – IA Claire Cohen has been with the FBI since 2013, working the complex financial crime threat since 2014, when she began her career as an Intelligence Analyst. The threats IA Cohen covers range from Securities Fraud to Mortgage Fraud, Money Laundering to Mass Marketing Fraud. IA Cohen has traveled to DC to assist in high-profile investigations and is routinely consulted regarding her knowledge of the Pig Butchering threat.