Synthetic Drug Trafficking and Trans-National Organized Crime is a course during which we will explore several of the issues behind the explosion in synthetic drug production and trafficking, and the corresponding record harm it has inflicted upon our communities. We will study why the two main producers of fentanyl and methamphetamine, the Sinaloa Cartel and Jalisco New Generation Cartel, made the transition to synthetic drug production and we will deepen our understanding of the
economics and logistics of synthetic drug production and trafficking versus that of traditional plant based drugs. We will discuss the three major factors driving fentanyl caused deaths and gain a better understanding of who fentanyl is harming and why there has been a dramatic shift in the demographics of drug caused death victims in recent years. We will contrast the differences in those harmed by methamphetamine and those harmed by fentanyl.
– Understand the four major factors that caused the shift from more traditional, organic drug trafficking to synthetic drug trafficking.
– Know who produces synthetic drugs, where the precursor chemicals are sourced, where
synthetics are produced and how they are smuggled into the United States.
– Know where fentanyl is present within the illicit drug supply chain.
– Be able to explain how availability, accessibility and deception are the driving forces behind the increase in drug caused deaths.
– Be able to identify the three fentanyl risk groups and what the specific risk to each group is.
– Understand what age group is most susceptible to a fentanyl caused death vs a
methamphetamine caused death.
WHY TAKE THIS COURSE?
Whether it is a teenage child lost to a drug caused death or an adult battling with methamphetamine addiction, the damage caused by synthetic drugs is present everywhere we look. Almost everyone
knows someone who has been impacted by fentanyl or methamphetamine. Empower yourself to be part of the solution by better understanding the drug, the trafficker, who is harmed, and why.
PSC Brian Keith, DHS
Who Can Attend:
Open only to InfraGard members and their guests
Please see weekly events email.